Sunday, February 18, 2007

Smart Work???

Offlate there is has been a lot of debate between my colleagues on the Virtues of Smart work and Hard work. Simply put smart "work" is the ability to do the some work with the minimum efforts Vis a vis hard work .. which usually implies that ur putting ur arse out to achieve some results. But somehow this debate on Smart work veered to yet another discussion ........ Picture this .. I am assigned some work to do which is really new to be me .. and I will learn a lot from doing this work ......But I instead of doing the Work .. I "smartly" push this work to another colleague of mine who knows this work better and will complete the same work faster than me. Now the Question is this Smart work ?? Well DEpends on perpective ( my favourite ).

For if I look from my angle .. I have got the work done at the best Possible place and by the best person there by enchancing my own people management skills and improving my companies 's efficiency... Really ? Someone else will ask "did'nt you miss the chance to learn something new here ?".I mean people management is imperative and perhaps the most important skill one needs to learn..... but in doing this .. haven't you missed the chance to learn some new Technology or some new workcycle process?

This is exactly the Predicament which say a new CEO of a company faces. Do I look take a long term view and let my people add "real" value and bring a steady rate of Growth or else Do I take a Short term view and ask people to produce results ASAP and bring out a Stellar quarterly result?.

In the end , guess there is a thin line of Difference between the Smart work and hard work and I truely believe that the way to should be work hard but smartly :)

No comments: